23 October 2006

two hands, no waiting

[this interface irritates me a lot sometimes, i just had a whole thing written up, i hit shift and up arrow to select the text to change the color, and all my text disappeared. grr!]

it's a sunny day out there and i'm glad i got to spend some time basking in the sun, in the garden, with the cats.

in sadder news, my grandma is in the hospital.

the title of this post comes from a few years back, either myself or one of my friends said it, in response to either of us needing a backrub. it now also refers to me being willing to take on a task that needs doing.


my mom probably remembers well, back in the day when i lived at home and my room was messy, my idea of cleaning it was to put everything in piles. to this day the thrill of piling things lives on. i love making piles. i love organizing things into piles, and then organizing the piles in and of themselves. i like having a place to put a pile of stuff, whether it be a box, a drawer, a closet, a book, a filing cabinet, etc. i like putting things in order; color order, numerical order, alphabetical order, size order, date order.

the funniest thing about all my current piling and ordering is that most of the stuff isn't even mine.

the thing that surprises me a little bit is how busy i've been wanting to be. i moved here with the idea that i would rest, lay around, nap, read, write, do a few things of my own but for the most part just pretend to be a turtle, inside my shell. lay low.

instead i've decided to take on all the chores of the house and yard. i've signed myself up to take apart the bathroom linen closet, wash it with TSP, and repaint it (mostly cause it's a little scuzzy in there and i don't want to put my stuff into a scuzzy closet). also, the gutters have been making a lot of noise when it rains, so i've offered to clean them out.

i've been taking out the trash, the recycling, and the compost - they all have their places and piles. i've helped make dried apples and pears, hot pepper sauce, apple juice, grape juice, 5 batches of pepper jelly - all of which i've never made before but have been very rewarding experiences. i've been organizing shelves of canned goods, cds, tapes, books, magazines, papers, and whatever else i can get my hands on to shelf.

my current projects have included laundry and hanging sheets out to dry on the line (they smell delicious!) and rearranging the clothes in the closets. there is still tons of papers and folders and books and just...things that need to be sorted and dealt with and put away and i probably shouldn't do too much of that cause it's personal stuff and the person whose stuff it is, isn't here.

so instead i'm just putting into piles which can be dealt with when they get home :)

4 comments:

megan said...

Hey! We've got some closets that could use a cleaning!!

888 said...

What is TSP? Does the "S" stand for "silly"?

kristen said...

the questions at hand:
will i clean romblestonia's closets?

answer: perhaps if i am in the same house as them, maybe...

what is tsp? does the s stand for silly?

answer: tsp = tri sodium phosphate. and so, no. the s does NOT stand for silly. :)

888 said...

Dried fruit sounds pretty good right now...