30 December 2009

winter training, day 7

as my last day at the conditioning center, i was ready to cash in on my "how do i take care of my ailing calf muscles?" question. they were hurting big time, and no ibuprofen or ice was taking the pain / tightness away. i did a lot of calf stretching on the wooden block shaped like a wedge, and then kate gave me the rolling pin to mash out my knots. that really did the trick!

workout of the day for december 30

10 min cardio

3 rounds, in order:

squats x 20 (no weight)
swings x 20 (smallest weight)
single leg bridges (in place of calf raises for me) x 20 each side
double leg lowering x 20
hammer curls x 20 (10lb)
tricep extensions x 20 (10lb)
pushups x 20
slams x 20 (4lb)

those slams are great for getting out frustration. even if you don't really have any! my mom said i made a mean face while i did them. i personally enjoyed the grunting.

stretching regimen included:
using a strap and 3x30 seconds of hamstring stretching on each leg
standing up, 3x30 seconds of quad stretching on each leg
extensive calf stretching with the wooden wedge and the rolling pin

i look forward to going back there next time i'm home. who knew resistance training could be so much work?

1 comment:

Mike McLaren said...

Last week, for the first time in over six years, I got back in the gym, and now I'm trying to stop waking up feeling like I've been run over by a truck.